Today 287

Yesterday 427

All 39461994

Monday, 1.07.2024
eGovernment Forschung seit 2001 | eGovernment Research since 2001
I have not being blogging for quite some time, but a lot has happened in Gartner government research over the last few months. Perhaps the most remarkable achievement has been the redesign of our research agenda to align with the digital government priorities that many of our clients are dealing or are about to deal with.

There is no doubt that there is still a fair amount of confusion in the marketplace about what constitutes digital. While I received some pointed criticism when I said that there is a risk that digital government looks pretty much like e-government, client conversations over the last few months clearly show that there is no single definition of what digital means and that the risk of turning it into more of the same is clear and present to several people.

Read more: The Eight Key Issues of Digital Government

60 per cent of government leaders at FutureGov Summit 2013 feel that Europe has a better e-government track record than North America and Rest of the World (ROW). This was the conclusion of The Great Debate titled ‘My E-Government is Better Than Yours’ on the first day of this year’s Summit on October 23.

Making the opening statement for Team North America and ROW, Executive Director for e-Government and ICT Policy at the Mexico City Government, Carlos Giron highlighted, “We focus not only on e-government services, but also provide channels to promote citizen participation.”

Read more: Better e-government: North America or Europe?

Almost every day I either read an article, or hear from a client or discuss with a colleague about “digital government”. Every single jurisdiction has or is in the process of cranking up a digital plan of some sort, or is in the middle (or better the beginning) of its implementation.

As I sift through countless documents, statements, white and green papers, I can’t help notice the parallel between digital government and what used to be called e-government. Verbiage like “citizen-centric”, bridging the digital divide, enhancing collaboration and joined activity in the back office are all areas that we saw in well-reputed e-government plans and that we are seeing again in digital plans.

Read more: E-government is dead, long live 'digital government'

he opening of the 2nd Global e-Government Forum is right around the corner. Under the guidance of the Ministry of Security and Public Administration, the forum will be grandly held for 2 days on October 22nd and 23rd.

Korea has been chosen as the global best for the past two years by the UN e-Government Assessment, and as the prominent leader in e-Government. The 2nd Global e-Government Forum will be a chance to show Korea’s brand power in the e-Government field and with this the international market advance of domestic IT companies will happen much more easily.

Read more: Government 3.0 - The Future of Opening, Sharing, Communication, and Collaboration

Studies suggest personal relationships between colleagues is the key to sharing great ideas – and great ideas save money

Innovation is the buzzword of the moment in local government. Whether it's in the pursuit of shared savings or the implementation of e-government, the innovation label is often taken as a seal of approval: it is good to be innovative.

But how does local government decide what is innovative? And if certain things are judged to be genuinely innovative, then how effective is local government at spreading them around?

Read more: What is innovation in local government, and how is it shared around?

Go to top