Today 293

Yesterday 427

All 39462000

Monday, 1.07.2024
eGovernment Forschung seit 2001 | eGovernment Research since 2001
National and international organizations are ill-prepared to exploit e-health systems in the event of the emergence of a major pandemic disease, according to a research paper to be published in the International Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Technology.

E-health systems and associated information technology could radically alter the course of a pandemic disease, such as a major outbreak of influenza internationally. It could provide healthcare workers, emergency services, patients and those at-risk with access to much-needed data on how disease is spreading and what measures could be taken to halt its progress. Unfortunately, suggest Junhua Li of the Asia-Pacific Ubiquitous Healthcare Research Centre (APuHC), at The University of New South Wales, Australia, and colleagues, the widespread adoption of e-health represents a significant disruption to current healthcare protocols and systems and stakeholders are not in a position to take full advantage of it.

Read more: E-Health services ill-prepared for epidemics

Lately, I'm seeing a pattern in the way that mobile healthcare is being co-opted by some of the big conference organizers. In March, I wrote about the fact that at HIMSS 2013 the organization's embrace of mHealth was never more evident. Similarly, ATA's 2013 annual conference held in May was billed as "the world's largest meeting and trade show focused on telemedicine and mHealth."

Tomorrow, the three-day mHealth + Telehealth World 2013 conference kicks off in Boston. The 5th annual mHealth World Congress and the second annual Telehealth Congress have joined forces to showcase solutions from what are arguably the two hottest areas of eHealth. Yes, that's right. I said mHealth is a part of eHealth. Back in March, I was taken to task by a blogger when I stated in my column that "mHealth is a component of eHealth," citing the World Health Organization's definition.

Read more: mHealth and telehealth: Part of the eHealth tool bag

Framework applies throughout development life cycle

An international group of researchers says it has developed a tool for evaluating the effectiveness of various e-health programs, based on a new evaluation framework.

Reporting in the journal Telemedicine and e-Health, the researchers say they defined different stages of e-health program implementation and a series of areas to be considered in evaluating programs' effectiveness. The framework "helps understand various aspects of e-health programs and their impact that require evaluation at different stages of the life cycle," the authors reported.

Read more: Researchers develop tool to evaluate e-health effectiveness

Background

An ageing population is seen as a threat to the quality of life and health in rural communities, and it is often assumed that e-Health services can address this issue. As successful e-Health implementation in organizations has proven difficult, this systematic literature review considers whether this is so for rural communities. This review identifies the critical implementation factors and, following the change model of Pettigrew and Whipp, classifies them in terms of "context", "process", and "content". Through this lens, we analyze the empirical findings found in the literature to address the question: How do context, process, and content factors of e-Health implementation influence its adoption in rural communities?

Read more: Implementation factors and their effect on e-Health service adoption in rural communities

eHealth, or e-Health, refers to healthcare practice supported by electronic processes and communication. The term is supposed to be interchangeable with health informatics with a broad definition covering electronic/digital processes in health or, to narrow down, the term eHealth indicates healthcare practice using the Internet.

mHealth, or m-Health, is the practice of medicine and public health supported by mobile devices, such as mobile phones, tablet computers, etc. for health services and clinical data collection. mHealth applications include the use of mobile devices in delivery of healthcare information to practitioners, researchers, and patients, real-time monitoring of patient vital signs, and direct provision of care.

Read more: Advantech e-Health and m-Health

Go to top